Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My Uncle

Today marks the 21st anniversary of my Uncle Peter's death. Uncle Peter was my godfather, which always made me feel a special connection to him. I was very young when he died so I don't remember much about him. I do remember he smelled like cigarette smoke and peppermint candies. Today, the smell of smoke does not bother me. I actually find the smell to be almost pleasant since it reminds me of my uncle. Even though he wasn't physically a part of my life, he's always been in my life. He has stayed alive through stories. My dad and his family will talk about their childhood and include stories about Peter. One of my brothers was given the middle name Peter in memory of the uncle he never met. I've considered carrying on this tradition if I had a son and honor my uncle and godfather. Especially with Thanksgiving tomorrow, I would ask everyone to remember those loved ones that aren't with you. Remember funny stories, some characteristic that always struck you, anything to keep the memory of that person alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment