Sunday, November 6, 2011

Development of My Not So Normal Life 3

I'm in the initial processes of writing MNSNL 3. This stage includes researching places Lily & Co. will travel on missions and general plot points and development. I decided to work on the last book in the series because of my momentum of getting MNSNL 2 ready for publication. I never thought there would be a MNSNL 3. I had intended to finish off the short series with book 2. Then in editing, I discovered a new twist that needed to be explored and character development that could not be noted in an epilogue. The downside to writing MNSNL 3 is the realization that characters will have to die. As of right now, I've decided on three characters who will not live to see the end of the book series. The idea of killing off these characters makes me sad (when I made my final decision about one character I had to hold back tears). I struggled with the idea about more deaths. I hate the idea of even fictional people dying. But, the one thing I wanted when I wrote MNSNL was at least a little reality (or at least as much as one could include in a story where a 12 year old is recruited to be a spy). And the reality is that in the dangerous life Lily leads, people die. The worst part about the characters who will die is that they were meant to make it to the end of the series. I've killed characters in the novels I've written, but those characters were always meant to die. They're deaths were inevitable, like J.K. Rowling killing James and Lily Potter. These new deaths are more akin to that of Lupin's death in Harry Potter; the death the author didn't plan on but realized had to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment