Thursday, November 10, 2011

Getting Licensed

Today I got my license to practice law in Illinois. For those who aren't familiar with the process of becoming an attorney, in order to become an attorney law school graduates must first pass the bar and then in one large ceremony all new candidates are sworn in together. Originally, I thought that my post today would be all about becoming an official lawyer but on my way to the ceremony I realized that I would be blogging about my "adventure" to get to the ceremony itself.

On the way to the ceremony my dad's car broke down. It was scary how fast the car died, never have I gone from no problem to car won't move. With some help from strangers we were able to push the car off the expressway ramp and parked it on the side street. This was a new experience for me, I've never pushed a car while in neutral and never in a skirt suit and 2 inch heels. Once the car was parked we faced our new challenge, we were only 5 minutes into our hour long ride and now stuck without a car. We walked a couple blocks (luckily I had sensible heels on, at least by my standards) and hailed down a taxi (again lucky since we were in a neighborhood with few taxis driving around). My mom, sister, and I took the cab into the city, while my dad walked a mile to get back to our house and pick up my mom's car. While driving in the cab, my blood pressure rose higher than when I took the bar exam. Thanks to the extremely reckless driving of our taxi driver he made our hour long drive into a 1/2 hour drive. I luckily got to the ceremony with some time to spare so that I could sign my oath and get seats. Better still, my dad was able to drive as fast as he could and thanks to my connections w/ security at the convention center (thanks Katie! Love you so much) my dad was able to park right next to the entrance so he  could sneak into the ceremony and see me swear in.

Overall, today will be a day I won't forget anytime soon. Not because of my bad luck but for my good luck. Yes, there was one horrible, blood boiling experience but there was so much that went good.

No comments:

Post a Comment