Thursday, February 23, 2017

Don't Quit Your Day Job

I don't think it's an uncommon desire to be paid for doing what you love. Whether it's making a living from your writing, painting, singing, acting, running, playing sports, watching tv, reading, or some other passion or hobby. I think we all wish we could be paid to pursue our hobbies or passions. Between law school and my first job as an attorney, while I waited for by bar exam results I was underemployed for just over three months. I worked as a receptionist at a student health center at a local university. In that time I spent most of my free time (when not applying for jobs) writing and working on My Not So Normal Life. That time was challenging, but it was nice to have large chunks of time for writing, reading, and editing. Working a full-time job, with a long commute doesn't always allow me all the time I'd like to devote to writing.

My sister recently reminded me that few authors actually are able to live solely from their writing and have jobs to supplements their income. So, as much as I would love to quit my job and be a writer full-time, working in different cafes, I still have student loans, house payments, and groceries to buy.

I hope my readers are either currently being paid to pursue their passion. Or hopefully, it'll happen for you one day. As for me, I will continue to find moments in my train commute and lunch break to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment