Thursday, February 9, 2017

Finding Writers

As I have gotten more confidence I have begun to talk more about my books. In the past, I would hide the fact I was an author. Usually mumbling something about it to very close family and friends. I was embarrassed that people would think my idea was stupid. I worried that my co-workers/bosses would think that I wasn't serious about work if they knew I had outside interests. (This one I know is pretty dumb, but I began my career during the recession and had the idea that I was replaceable drilled into my head. That work mentality made me think that I had to act as a lawyer-drone, someone who put work before everything else.)

Slowly, I have moved away from being shy about talking about my books and I learned something: there are writers everywhere. I have found a community of writers on Twitter. Friends of friends, work acquaintances, family members, all talk about the book they have written or want to write. I love talking to people about the projects they are working on or want to work on. I love to encourage them to write and publish.

Last week, I mentioned I had experience self-publishing books with a woman in another department at my office. She asked me if I had instructions on how to self-publish on Amazon because she had a book she wanted to self-publish but didn't know how. Being a publishing author was always a dream of mine and to give someone the tools to make their dream come true made me feel like amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment