Friday, July 29, 2016

Working to Live

There is a misconception going around. Some people seem convinced that the goal in life is you must love your job. You need to spring up from your bed in the morning, excited to get to work. You should seek personal fulfillment from your work. Now, if you're one of those lucky people who has found personal enjoyment and fulfillment in your work, Awesome! Congratulations! Personally, I have not found this to be the case.
When I was first out of law school, I gave so much to my job, thinking that work would give me a sense of fulfillment. After three years I did not feel fulfilled. I felt drained and tired. I knew I wasn't living up to my potential. I began to look for another job. And I had a choice. I could seek out the job that would be demanding, require me to work long hours, in an attempt to attain fulfillment. Or  I could look for a job that would allow me to pay my bills, keep me fed and sheltered but allow me to follow other pursuits. I chose the second option.

I have been at my current job for 15 months. In those 15 months I have written two books and have taken giant steps towards actually publishing. I am now set to have my first book published through Moorefield House Publishing, an independent publishing company. I work long hours as an attorney and write on the train and during my lunch breaks. And I feel fulfilled. I feel like I have accomplished something.

I don't jump out of bed each morning. I usually hit the snooze button a few times and grumble about it not being Saturday as I shuffle out of my bedroom to brush my teeth. I don't love my job, but I love what my job gives me: the ability to take care of myself and pursue my interests and personal dreams. I consider myself extremely blessed, not because I have a job I love, but because my job allows me to enjoy and love my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment